January 11, 2012

It's strawberry season!!!!!!


I know in my last post I complained (bitterly) about the outrageous cost of some imported products ..... but on the flip side, there are lots of cheap things to be found here too!  

Like strawberries!

  And they're in season right now.  But only for a very short 7 weeks....ish!  Yeah I mean ..... for the whole year!

So I'm stuffing our freezer to the gunnels with strawberries.  By taking the time to freeze them on a tray, they'll freeze like little berrycicles so I can bag them up and then take them out one by one (or not) as I need!

  

They've just dropped in price to 60roops a punnet (about $1.10 at today's exhange rate) so they're a bargain!  So for about 30 bucks there are now 30 punnets of strawberries languishing in my freezer ready for smoothies, coulis, cocktails, icecream etc.  

You might think it extravagant but these small things do make a difference to our girls who so desperately miss things like stone fruits, avocados and all sorts of berries (the list is much much longer but for the sake of brevity, let's stay with fruit). To watch my girls demolish a punnet of raspberries or blackberries when they're back home is a sight to behold!!!!  Gone in 60 seconds!!!! 


These strawberries better last longer than 60 seconds though, they gotta last us all year!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment