January 15, 2012

new Tandoor oven


We've been meaning to buy a tandoor oven for ages now but ... well it kept falling off my to do list!

Talking to a girlfriend yesterday, while our daughters were playing football, I discovered she knew exactly where to buy them (well her driver did!). So three hours later ... her driver kindly loaded it into the back of my car.  It was still hot and smokey as it had just been freshly seasoned!

Emmy & I drove home on this glorious day, windows down, boogieing to our favourite Bollywood hits while smoke was wafting from our tandoor out of the car windows.

as my friend's driver had kindly remembered to buy a bag of charcoal


Ramesh & Nero were given the task of firing it up as soon as we got home
and  I consulted my new cookbook
"Tandoor" by Ranjit Rai


it wasn't long before the coals were glowing red
 and ready for our first naan bread!



you gotta start with a round ball,
flatten it
Nero rolled while I took pictures
the trick is getting the shape right

and having a pad made ready so you can slam it onto the inside of the boiling hot tandoor and doing it without squealing like a girl and dropping it in the embers (now I wonder who did that?)
Nero had already scorched the hairs off his arms by this stage!

there it is stuck to the inside (just like the real thing!)



and it's not long before it starts bubbling up


........and browning up


and tadaaaaaaah .. fresh hot homemade delectable naan bread!


So we've got a few metal sheesk sticks already and need to buy a few more implements ... and then we'll be cooking up all sorts of stuff ... when I can do a whole tandoori chicken I'll letcha know!


 a few nights later I took these cool shots of the tandoor firing up
Thanx ever so much Rani!!!!!!!  It's the best $20 I've spent!

1 comment: