June 22, 2012

after a brief stint in "civilisation"......

Back in May, I spent a week in the UK, trying to find our girls a new school, and trying to figure out where we were gonna live.  Oh it was beautiful, lush and bright green with new spring growth, the trees weren't dusty, there wasn't a soul on the roads.... 





And best not mention ....... SUPERMARKETS!!!! Omg the produce!!!!! OMG the prices!!!!!!
we pay GBP12.50 for this cheese - for the privilege of having it flown in by pilots and stewardess' 
(not that the market owner will ever admit this)

we hadn't even got out of Heathrow and the girls were already fanging for food!

Yup we took home some whopping big field mushrooms
but Xanthe couldn't wait, she ate hers on the plane
and was dubbed Captain Mushroom by the hostie!!!!
After about three days in the UK, and probably a good dose of "reverse culture shock" settling in, it dawned on me just how much I'd changed, or India had changed me, shaped my perceptions, broadened my outlook, made me more aware, lazier, busier, tolerant, less tolerant, oh heaps of stuff, so I jotted down the things I had realised (or forgotten!) as I slowly got used to being back in "civilisation" (don't be offended by the use of this word, it's how it feels to be back in a country with properly laid roads, where there are supermarkets, where you can go for a walk on pavements that aren't death traps, where you don't have to truck in water, where your electricity bills aren't addressed to Mr Foreigner (not us, someone else but it's priceless huh!?).  There's plenty more to come on this list (I might write part 2 once I get my head right from nearly a week of packing!).


Ok, so the first point is obvious but it still needs to be said:
  • The motorway known as the M25 is a bitch!
  • Having to find a car park is a bitch
  • I've forgotten how to check parking restrictions
  • AND adhere to them
  • I don't walk anywhere!
  • I'm going to miss India more than I ever imagined
  • and cows
  • Carrying my own shopping is not fun
  • I'm not used to being alone
  • Even in my own car
  • I AM permanently attached to my mobile
  • Being driven increases my productivity
  • There'll be tonnes more chores to do when I move back to civilisation and I won't have that car productivity time
  • There's no-one to ask directions here (UK here) - not an auto driver or a guard
  • I'm going to miss excess people on the streets
  • Driving in Delhi is fun
  • Speed limits suck (yes I know they're imposed for a reason, but try driving in Melbourne where most roads are limited to 40km and THEN tell me how much you love speed limits!!!!)
  • Everyone wears shoes in the UK!
  • I'm adaptable to most situations
  • I've developed a better sense of direction
  • I'm more confident
  • and uber resourceful
  • I'm not used to drinking water out of a tap
  • Doors are opened by guards here in Delhi and I forget I'm supposed to or able to!
  • Same with swiping my own debit card at the supermarket
  • Horning is clever driver communication
  • The English are very very polite
  • and courteous on the roads
  • There's real wine to be had and it's gorgeous
  • I'm so assertive now it scares me
  • I love London
  • I have great friends all around the world
  • And my Delhi friends have not only supported me but shaped and influenced me too, and I'm really really gonna miss them and their "internationalness"
  • Imported products ARE ridiculously expensive in Delhi
  • I've got used to crap quality produce
  • I don't wanna do normal ever again!
  • I haven't put petrol in my car in 3 years
  • Or posted a letter for that matter
  • I'm permanently wired in Delhi
  • I push myself hard and have great stamina
  • I'm exhausted
  • but EVERYTHING is possible
We've had an amazing adventure, something some people never imagine possible, let alone consider doing.  It has consequences obviously, you can't live in a country like this without it affecting you BIG TIME!  So the consequences are many, and far and long reaching and some may not become obvious for quite some time.  I can see how our girls have matured, how worldly they are already.  Their "bullshit filter" is on (and turned up to max), they can negotiate like you wouldn't believe, they are strong and confident, they see the world through different eyes, they have an understanding of things they shouldn't even know about yet .. I could go on and on .... you know, I'm not quite sure what effects we'll see in the future (I did read Third Culture Kids 3 years ago perhaps it's time for another read and probably a lot of understanding head nodding) but it will be interesting to watch it all unfold as they grow and blossom into true culturally aware, global citizens!


I do wish more of our friends had been brave enough to come visit.  Not only is it an amazing holiday, but seeing us operate AND SURVIVE in this environment would put so much into perspective, maybe not straight away, but definitely as we return home and ... well .. when it becomes obvious we're not the same people who left nearly 3 years ago!  I don't wanna get too deep here, so I'm going to leave it at a that, I know why people are freaked out about the concept of coming here, but as my sisterinlaw said after her near 3 week visit "honestly, India was on the bottom of my must see list, now I've been here, I can't believe we took so long to do it, it's the best holiday I've ever had and we'll be back for sure!".

I'm posting this nearly 2 months later (after being reminded by a kooky friend that I hadn't yet) and a few days after we joined Dean at his work farewell.  Now THAT was an experience!  Usually a work send off is a cake, a speech, a few gifts and that's that.  

In India, everything is a cause for celebration, yes even! a work farewell  They hired a venue, served food and had an open bar, there was a dance floor of course, they played games "minute to win it" style 


 
this is dangle a chill from your belt and aim it into the bottle!
They had prepared a video of farewells from various people around the office, one guy did a 20minute impression of various staff and then 4 people did a rehearsed Bollywood number, we got dragged up to dance too and then of course, were the obligatory speeches.  It was fun, Indian parties ARE fun, backwards (I mean reverse order) but fun.  They get the dancing done first, it's mostly men and boy do they get into it and then food is served last and then it's over quick as a flash!


and of course there were jalabis!!!!

Anyway, all the formalities were over and there was more dancing to be done and who should be busting some serious Bollywood moves?  Emmaline!  Yup just about to turn 12 and there she was dressed in her saree and dancing with everyone from the office!
       

No way she would know these bollywood steps if we'd have stayed in Melbourne.  No way she'd have the confidence to dance with a bunch of strange men and women (it WAS mostly men and I WAS watching like a hawk) 15+ years older than her and hold her own!  No way Dean or his English CEO had had a send off like this ever, and they know that India has had a great effect on them, on the way they do business, on the way they celebrate milestones at work - they will take their experiences with them back to the UK, they will bring a little bit of India with them to the office ... it's impossible not to!

I do love the way India has changed us all.  We are richer for the experience, for the culture, the colours, the vibrancy, the music, the people .. all of it all has had a massive effect on us and I know we will never be quite the same again!


Next blog .... what I'll miss about India .. it's coming, I just don't know if I can do it yet......

Jai Ho!!!!!

1 comment: