June 14, 2012

Packers due tomorrow.....

Ok ok so lil confession here, I'm still not ready to deal with the emotional side of leaving .... and given that every day another friend leaves Delhi, either for a new journey or to get out of the damn heat ..  I'm best left swimming in The Nile a bit longer (de nile, denial .. geddit?).

However the reality of our imminent departure is obvious.  Tonight as the frog's croak by the pool, the a/c in the kitchen struggles to chug out cool air, while sweat trickles down my face and down my back .... in this unrelenting heat....


and the giggles of Paul and Dean in the pool chugging the last of our beers resound in my ears ..... I'm pottering round the house putting up signs and marking stuff not to be packed, or designated for the airfreight pile, and generally getting ready for the onslaught tomorrow morning when the packers start to cause absolute chaos in my normally orderly and neat home.

To be honest, I can't stand the mess already.

I can't bear the thought of that damn noise .. the ripping of packers tape as they put together hundreds of boxes ready to jam our belongings in, ready for our next adventure.

The packers have left piles of boxes, general packing paraphernalia and even this lovely little sign in anticipation of  warning the neighbors that bloody big trucks are gonna block their paths in our shared driveway TOMORROW morning!  YIKES!


It's quite a feat getting your house ready to be shipped half way across the world .. and everything that it entails - usually I have lists upon lists, spreadsheets with 17 worksheets listing every stupid thing I can think of that I need to do.

This time however, I've decided I don't need lists.

Nup, I'm going commando!  Or solo, downright plain stupid, or however you'd describe the sheer lunacy of planning an international relocation without one solitary list!

So .. before you call out those guys in the white van with the snazzy little vests that do up at the back (I think I've used that before in a previous blog) .... remember that I'm no moving virgin .. so let's just see if I can pull it off!

Will there be a prize at the end if I do?

Will it involve a total and utter breakdown at the other end?

Doubtful.  I've done this before and besides, I've not yet met one expat who never got her stuff done, never missed the boat for her container, never not made it to the other side!

Anyway, Paul's here and he's keeping me chilled.  Dean's here and taking time off to "help".

We've got our visas, and our plane tickets, our kids are ready and rearing to go .... and ... I'll have you know I'm going to abSOLUTELY collapse when we hit our hotel in Phuket for 6 glorious days of doing abSOLUTELY nothing!

So Xanthe's teeth are done.  Just have to have her braces removed in our last week, then the day we fly out get her retainer fitted.


I've still got to sell our curtains, fire extinguishers, UPS's and stabilisers and two cupboards that didn't sell at our auction.  Plenty of time left ....


And we even managed to get our first home delivery pizza in three years tonight (while Paul cooked real cheffy style pan cooked pizzas with what's left in our poor depleted fridge!):


So I'm signing off now, nearly 2am and already wishing I'd got a good night's sleep ready for the onslaught........

1 comment:

  1. Good night's sleep? What for?

    :) Safe packing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete